328 West Courthouse Road
P. O. Box 85
Nottoway, Virginia 23955
(434) 645-8698 Fax
Regular Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday
Please note: Office hours may change in the months of October, November, and December of each year to allow time to process mail and make deposits. Please check the insert sheet enclosed with your tax bill for specific times that the office is open during the fall.
The Treasurer is an elected official directly responsible to the citizens of the locality for the receipt and collection of revenue, the safekeeping and investment of revenue and accounting for the disbursement of revenue. The Treasurer is also responsible for the collection of state funds under the Code of Virginia.
The Board of Supervisors of Nottoway County sets the local personal property and real estate tax rates. The rates are determined when the county is preparing the budget for the upcoming fiscal year. Personal property is assessed as of January 1 each year by the Commissioner of the Revenue. The tax is based on a pricing guide or a percent of the original total. The assessment is based on vehicles in the taxpayer’s possession and normally garaged, parked or stored in the County on January l.
The Code of Virginia provides for the assessment of real estate taxes based on fair market value as established by the governing body. All real estate is subject to taxation unless it is specifically exempt.
Real property is assessed as of January 1 each year by the Commissioner of the Revenue. Real estate tax is due on December 5. A late payment penalty of 10% is added on December 6; interest is added at the rate of 10% per year beginning January 1. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you of the obligation of paying your tax plus any penalty or interest that may accrue. Any change in ownership, billing address, etc., should be reported to the Treasurer’s Office. We will forward tax bills to a mortgage company if requested by the company in writing at least 60 days before payment is due.
The Land Use Assessment Program for tracts of 5 acres or more is designed to preserve farmland (agricultural) and horticultural acres in the county. Tax assessments are generally lower than those at fair market value. The program is a deferral of taxes not a total abatement. More information on this program can be obtained from the Commissioner of the Revenue.
Personal property tax is levied as of January 1 each year on the following kinds of personal property: autos, trucks, motor homes, mobile homes, motorcycles, trailers, campers, boats, airplanes and business personal property. The tax is assessed by the Commissioner of the Revenue and paid to the Treasurer’s Office and is due by December 5 to avoid 10% penalty and interest.
- Military: Under the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act, non-Virginia resident military personnel are exempt from personal property taxes if the personal property is titled solely in the name of the service person. Personal property registered jointly with a non-military member is taxable to the jurisdiction.
- Personal Property Tax Return: Every resident of Nottoway County as of January 1 of the tax year must file personal property with the Commissioner of the Revenue by May 1. This must be filed every year. Failure to list personal property with the Commissioner of Revenue results in a 10% late filing penalty being added. When assessed, the penalty becomes part of the tax. Forms are mailed to taxpayers in January that received a bill the prior year. If you are new to the County a blank form can be found on The Commissioner of Revenue page. If you have any questions please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue (434) 645-9317.
Decals are no longer needed on your vehicle(s) in Nottoway County.
All dogs four months or more old must have a county dog tag. Tags go on sale November 1 and must be purchased by January 31 deadline. A valid rabies vaccination certificate signed by the veterinarian must be presented. Single tags are $10.00 and kennel tags are $50.00. However a discount fee will be charged for animals that are neutered or spayed. The discounted rate will be $5.00. The owner must provide proof of the animals being neutered or spayed signed by a licensed veterinarian when purchasing the discounted license.
An annual business tax on businesses and professions located in the county is assessed by the Commissioner of the Revenue. Licenses are issued on calendar year with yearly renewals beginning January 1 and deadline of March 1. For further information on these licenses contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at (434) 645-9317.
State and estimated income taxes may be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue. Payments are accepted in the Treasurer’s Office. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Nottoway County Treasurer.
If you receive a bill for real estate you no longer own, you should immediately contact the Treasurer’s Office. Payments may be made in advance of the due date. Also, payment agreements may be made with the Treasurer.
It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to see that he/she is properly assessed and that proper taxes are paid on time.
|January 15||State Estimated Taxes|
|January 31||Dog Tags Due|
|March 1||Business License Due|
|April 15||File & Pay Federal Taxes|
|May 1||File & Pay State Taxes|
|May 1||File Form 762 with Commissioner of Revenue (No Later Than)|
|June 15||State Estimated Taxes|
|September 15||State Estimated Taxes|
|December 5||County Taxes Due|
- Dial 1-800-2PAY-TAX (1-800-272-9829)
- Choose Option 3 Local Payments
- Enter Jurisdiction Code 1092
- Choose Payment Type (real estate, personal property, etc.)
- Enter account number (found on the tax bill)
- Enter phone number (with area code)
- Enter amount to be paid
- Enter credit card numberwith expiration date (month-XX & year-XXXX)
- Enter zip code
- You will be given a confirmation number (it will have 6 digits)
Please Note: When asked to enter your name, enter the name AS IT APPEARS ON THE TAX TICKET.
- Log on to http://www.officialpayments.com
- Click make a payment
- Choose local and type in jurisdiction code 1092
If you enter using your zip code, select Nottoway County
- Choose the payment type
- Enter the dollar amount (it will give you a convenience fee amount)
- Click ‘accept’
- Enter payment information such as name AS IT APPEARS ON THE TAX BILL
- Confirm & submit
- You will be given a confirmation number (it will have 6 digits)
Should you require any information from Nottoway County Treasurer’s office in accordance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, please contact the following public information officer: Ellen F. Myatt (434) 645-9318.